Dr. Justin Friebel is a specialist oculoplastic surgeon (eye and eyelid surgeon) based in Melbourne, Australia. He is experienced and successful in helping patients achieve optimal eye health and restored vision through a range of effective procedures. Justin also specialises in cosmetic corrections of the upper and lower eyelids, achieving natural aesthetic results with a focus on maintaining health and function of the eyes.
Needing to consider eye surgery can be stressful. Justin understands that successful results start with ensuring his patients feel safe and confident in his care. He spends time getting to know each of his patients and the issues affecting their eye health, creating a realistic treatment plan, and building a relationship of trust and confidence to ensure they approach surgery knowing their eyes are in the best hands.
After completing specialist ophthalmology training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne in 2003, Justin spent four years training in the United Kingdom and Canada, gaining further experience in oculoplastic surgery. Since then, Justin has built a strong reputation as a specialist in his field, helping patients enjoy improved vision and healthy, functional eyes.
Conditions treated by Justin:
- Eyelid disorders – ectropion (eyelid that turns outwards), entropion (eyelid that rolls inwards) and ptosis (drooping of upper eyelid), eyelid lesions and chalazions (benign bumps inside the upper or lower eyelid)
- Cosmetic eyelid surgery – upper and lower eyelids
- Blepharoplasty surgery for functional and vision problems
- Eye watering from a blocked tear duct with endoscopic lacrimal surgery
- Removal of skin cancers on the eyelids
- Cataract removal surgery
- Orbital conditions such as thyroid eye disease and tumors
- Pterygium surgery to remove fleshy growths from the surface of the eye.
After years of practice as an eye surgeon, I can distill success into a single word: trust.
I want my patients to assume - and take for granted - that I am skilled, highly competent, experienced, compassionate and ethical. I want them to assume I am using best pratice evidence - based techniques and treatments. I want them to assume I love what I do and will always act in their best interests.
I am careful to earn patients' trust through attentive listening, examination and gaining an understanding of their issues and who they are. I believe that with meaningful discussion and shared decision - making, trust ensures successful optimum outcomes.